Friday, April 1, 2011

Peace....

Many times I've thought of peace as the quietness that surrounds you when you have nothing on your mind, nobody distracting you, no pending chore...

I've nearly finished my first week of training at my new job.  It's been challenging and fun.  I am enjoying my co-workers, clients, and the general atmosphere.  Although for "training" I'm working six days in a row on two different shifts and have been hired in the middle of a joint commission visit and a completely full census, I am finding a nice fit.  The days are busy and I don't stay in a chair all day, nor am I running a marathon all day.  There is a generous variety of tasks to be completed each shift, and always something extra.  I'm nearly through my checklist of competencies with exception to two areas.  I have yet to orient on emergency procedures for power outage, tornado, blizzard, national emergency, etc.  AND I have yet to be given my driving test on the patient transport van.  This is a tall, fourteen passenger plus two wheelchair bus sort of like an airport shuttle.  I have driven the regular fifteen passenger van a few times.  It's not that much different than the suburban.  This one has me intimidated.  For one thing, the instructions say clearly "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BACK UP".  Oh dear. What if I have to?  We don't go anywhere we have to parallel park, thank Heaven!!!!  There is also a sticker on the back that is obviously faded to only the black letters.  It proclaims in bold black "THIS VEHICLE DOES NOT".  Does not what?  Back up?  Parallel park?  Stop?  It's a little scary.

The other area I'm not signed off on yet is anything I have to be trained on by the staff PA C.  He has been out sick.  Therefore, all first aid related stuff and other "not so pertinent" medical areas have been delayed.  For the most part I've had to pick up medication procedures from someone else.  Documentation, med counts, urine and breath tests, lab orders etc., are so much a part of every day that by the time the PA C returns, I will be completely competent without his input!

The dog has not been all that happy about me being gone all day every day.  He's had several seizures.  Poor baby.  He will have to adjust.  The house looks neglected.  And after day one, I was exhausted.  That has eased somewhat, I am picking up the pace quickly. Meals have been a bit off, shopping will be a challenge, laundry is piling up.

It's very strange to go from a completely 'home-centered' life into a 'work-centered' life.  I hope to achieve a balance there.  At some point I will transition into part time hours (24 per week) and start classes next fall.  It is very good.

Despite the tiredness, the full brain, the worry over the dog, the home chores being neglected, what I feel is peace.  Peace that I haven't felt in many, many months.  I am coming to learn that peace does not equal solitude and quiet.  Peace equals contentment and security.  All is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment